Salt Lake City, Utah
Plitt Theaters opened the Crossroads Cinemas on 20 June 1980. It was the first new theater in downtown Salt Lake City since the Centre Theatre in 1937. The triplex was located in the northwest corner of the basement of Crossroads Plaza. The largest auditorium seated 558 and was equipped for 70mm 6-track Dolby Stereo. Loews Cineplex closed the theater on 17 June 2000, after deciding not to renew the lease due to declining ticket sales. The mall was demolished in 2007 to make way for the new City Creek Center development.
C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911. The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies. It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.” At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall. In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.