utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Associated Theaters

•Casino Star Theatre

Fountain Green Theatre
Fountain Green, Utah

The LDS Church opened the Fountain Green Theatre and Dance Hall in 1918 and for decades it was the heart of the community.  In 1944 the building was sold to Ivin Rasmussen, who continued to operate the recreation center until 1950, when television changed the way people spent their evenings.  Rasmussen converted the dance hall into a general store, but the building sat vacant for 30 years after the store closed in 1976.  His descendants donated the building to the city in 1998 and the restored community center reopened on Memorial Day weekend 2004.

 
 
  Home  »  Articles
   
 

Duo get to save theater finally

By Suzanne Dean
Deseret Morning News, 09 January 2007

Article Summary:
When the Star Theater went up for sale in the late 1980s, Lori Nay and Diana Spencer helped organize a group called “Save Our Star” (SOS), but the theater was sold to another buyer.

In 2004, the Star Theater was again placed on the market. Nay and Spencer formed a nonprofit organization, paid earnest money, and then purchased the theater with an $8,000 down payment. They renamed the theater “Casino Star” in recognition of its entire history.

The theater was originally named “Casino” before the word was associated with gambling houses.

Because the intricate beaux-arts decorations on the Casino Star tend to deteriorate, the theater is only one west of the Mississippi still in operation.

Diana Spencer is a retired Snow College professor. Lori Nay is a doctor's wife and Gunnison city councilwoman.
 

 

Original Source:
Duo get to save theater finally