utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Associated Theaters

•Avon Theater
•Towne Cinemas
•Ideal Theatre
•Grove Theatre

Uintah Theatre
Vernal, Utah

On 29 April 1912, the New Uintah Theatre opened in the former Elk Building, which had been remodeled “along the latest moving picture house lines, with sloping floor, soloists platform, etc.”  The ticket office was outside, under a “blaze of rows of electric lights.”  Patrons of nearby towns appreciated having hitching posts on the premises.  The New Uintah closed sometime prior to 1932.  The E. W. Davis furniture store occupied the building before it became a piano store called the Henderson-Barlett Music Company.

 
 
  Home  »  Articles
   
 

Grove Theater Legacy
Miller family provides 30 years of movie entertainment

By Greg Hall
New Utah, 04 December 2003, Page 3

Article Summary:
John Miller started his first theater in Heber in the mid 1920s, where he showed silent movies.  He later moved to American Fork, where he built the Towne Cinema.  He also purchased the Alhambra theater in Pleasant Grove and a theater in Lehi.

For almost 30 years the Miller family operated the Alhambra, with sons running the movie projectors while daughters worked the concession stand and ticket booths.  In 1972, after the Miller children had moved away, the theater was sold to Lamont Alan.

The Alhambra was recently transformed into the Little London Theater, offering dinner and live plays.  Many were saddened when the popular venture closed in 2002, but in 2003 Gayliene Omary and Jan Shelton purchased the property and renamed the theater The Grove Theater and Academy.

 

 

Original Source:
Grove Theater Legacy