In April 1968, Intermountain Theatres announced plans to divide the Utah Theatre into the state's first two-screen theater complex. The original auditorium, which seated 1765, was divided by adding a floor from the balcony to the proscenium arch. The new upper-level theater was known as the Penthouse and included the rows of balcony seating and the original, ornate ceiling.
The Carillon Theatres were built in 1976 or 1977 by Mann Theatres as part of a national expansion program.1 The theater closed after Carmike Cinemas entered bankruptcy in 2000. The building was demolished in 2004.