Hales Hall500 South 200 West
Bountiful, Utah, 84010
(? - 1901)
Hales Hall was built about 1884 by Stephen Hales and was located on the southwest corner of 500 South and 200 West. The Hales home was built first and was located behind the hall.
Theatrical troops often dropped in to present plays such as "Rip Van Winkle," or "Uncle Tom's Cabin," as well as the plays presented by local Wards. Hales was an artist and did most of the scenery himself. A large oil painting was used as a front curtain. Vaudeville, minstrel shows, operettas and other musical programs were also presented.
The early Bamberger Railroad, with its "dummy" steam engine, and later the Bamberger electric train, ran along the east side of the building. Musicians rode from Salt Lake City to play for dances and parties. Movies were sometimes shown in the hall, with local girls playing the accompaniment on the piano for fifty cents.
After Stephen's wife, Jane Crosby Hales, died about 1901, Hales Hall was sold. Over the years the hall was widened, and was used as a post office, a dance hall, a roller skating rink, a garage, and maybe as a welding shop.
The building has been demolished and a bank is located there now.
Tom Tolman, Bountiful Historical Museum