Jones Hall

Beaver, Utah
(1909 - 1913)
Demolished

The Jones Hall opened sometime before 1909 and was used for dances, a skating rink (during the winter), and indoor exhibits for the Beaver County Fair.[1, 7, 8]

On 6 September 1909, A. H. Fennemore and W. E. Jones started another moving picture show in Beaver by opening the Gem Theatre in the Jones Hall.  A “machine and fixtures” were ordered to convert the hall for use as a theater.   Management promised “another good place of amusement,” with “clean and refined entertainment” and “the very best service obtainable in the way of films, music, etc.”  George Murdock “presided” at the piano.   The program was to be changed every other night.[2, 3, 4]

The next year, the Jones Hall was “fitted up to be an attractive amusement hall and a late type picture machine installed.”  The Orpheum moving picture show opened in the Jones Hall on 3 June 1910.  Two performances were to be given each evening, with a change of program three times a week.  Opening night “proved an agreeable surprise to Beaver's show patrons.  The program was varied and delightful and the pictures were excellent.  The songs by Miss Neilson have been secured permanently and the management states that a high standard in pictures and music will be maintained.  Judging by the shows given this week they mean what they say.”[5, 6]

A fire, described as the most disastrous since the burning of the Beaver Equitable in 1907, broke out in the Jones Hall on Sunday morning, 5 January 1913.  John F. Jones suffered a total loss of at least $9,000, for the building and a $6,000 stock of hardware in the basement.  The water service company also lost a small amount of galvanized piping.   The building was not insured.  “The sympathy of Beaver people and citizens throughout the county is expressed for Mr. Jones, as he is one of the most favorably known of our business men.  He is interested in almost every enterprise of any note in this end of the county. It is probable that he will rebuild and put in a new stock of hardware.”[9]

Not two months later, the Consolidated Wagon and Machine Company of Salt Lake City leased the Jones Hall from John F. Jones for a “branch house” with a large stock of hardware implements.  Ennes Jones served as manager of the new business.[10]

 
1. "Briefs", Beaver City Press, 26 February 1909 , page 3
2. "Beaver to Have New Theater", Southern Utonian, 13 August 1909 , page 1
3. "Briefs", Beaver City Press, 20 August 1909 , page 1
4. "Briefs", Beaver City Press, 3 September 1909 , page 1
5. "Briefs", Beaver City Press, 3 June 1910 , page 8
6. "The Orpheum", Beaver City Press, 10 June 1910 , page 1
7. "Beaver Briefs", Beaver City Press, 13 September 1912 , page 1
8. "Beaver Briefs", Beaver City Press, 27 December 1912
9. "Old Jones Hall Destroyed; Loss Reaches $9,000", Beaver City Press, 10 January 1913 , page 1
10. "Big Branch House for Beaver", Beaver City Press, 28 February 1913 , page 1