Plitt Theaters opened the Crossroads Cinemas on 20 June 1980. It was the first new theater in downtown Salt Lake City since the Centre Theatre in 1937. The triplex was located in the northwest corner of the basement of Crossroads Plaza. The largest auditorium seated 558 and was equipped for 70mm 6-track Dolby Stereo. Loews Cineplex closed the theater on 17 June 2000, after deciding not to renew the lease due to declining ticket sales. The mall was demolished in 2007 to make way for the new City Creek Center development.
228 South State Street Salt Lake City, Utah
(1928 - 1985)
The State theater was located at 228 South State Street in Salt Lake City, Utah. It opened about 1928. In 1949 the theater was operated by Joseph L. Lawrence and David K. Edwards*, who also operated the Uptown, Rialto, and who built the Villa Theatre. In 1958, the license of the State was suspended for 60 days because of a "complaint or charge as made by Chief of Police W. Cleon Skousen".*