The historic Villa Theatre opened in 1949, showing the black and white film "Prince of Foxes." In 1961 the Villa became the only theater in Utah to show Cinerama. The theater closed 18 February 2003 and has been renovated as a beautiful rug gallery.
The Academy Theater was built in the late 1930s by Joseph L. Lawrence
and David K. Edwards, who also built the Villa, Southeast, and Murray
Theaters in the Salt Lake area. The building may have been a skate rink
or the main office of a utility company before it became a theater. Carmike
Cinemas closed the theater on 10 September 1998 after opening a new 12-plex
in the same general area.