utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
5 Star Cinemas
8325 West 3500 South
Magna, Utah  84044
•Main Page •News Articles (5)
•Photos
•Guestbook (4)
•Facts & Figures  

Colonial Theatre
Salt Lake City, Utah

The Colonial Theatre was built by the Auerbach brothers in 1908 at a cost of $150,000 to show plays by traveling companies with the Northwestern Theatrical Association.  The interior was decorated with ivory and gold, with green sidewalls, carpets and draperies.  It had a seating capacity of 1936, with box seats and two balconies.  It showed movies as the Victory Theatre.  About 1942 it was destroyed by fire.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  5 Star Cinemas  »  Main Page
   
 
The 5 Star Cinemas has two attraction boards above the theater entrance.

Photographer: Grant Smith
Date: 10 May 2005

5 Star Cinemas
(Reel Theatre)
 
8325 West 3500 South
Magna, Utah 84044
 
Status:
Demolished 
Auditoriums:
Open:
December 1991  
Closed:
September 2011  
 

The Reel Theatre, located in the Arbor Park shopping complex in Magna, has five theaters ranging in size from 150 to 270 seats.  The first three auditoriums opened in December 1991 and the final two on 10 April 1992.

The Reel Theatre was "the first theater in Salt Lake Valley to show first-run motion pictures and discount-priced second-run movies,"1 a mix designed to bring a wider range of moviegoers to the concession stand.  Initially the three smaller auditoriums were used for discount movies while the two larger ones, equipped with digital sound, showed first-run films.  Eventually the whole complex was devoted to first-run films.

Robert Denning, who owned the theater, chose Magna because "Salt Lake is overscreened on the east side.  The farther away from the competition, the better off we'll be.  Time will tell how wise it is."

However, the Reel Theatre chain later went bankrupt.  After being closed for a time, the Reel Theatre in Magna was reopened by Consolidated Theaters and renamed the 5 Star Cinemas.



1. "Magna Theater Miles From Competition", Salt Lake Tribune, 10 April 1992, page B9