utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Dixie Theatre
35 North Main Street
St. George, Utah
•Main Page
•Photos
•Sign Guestbook
•Facts & Figures  

Capitol Theatre
Brigham City, Utah

The Elberta Theatre opened in Brigham City on 12 March 1917, built by W. H. Shurtliffe and W. R. Dredge.  A unique feature of the theater was that moviegoers entered the auditorium next to the screen, allowing latecomers to find their way to their seats using the reflected light of the film.  An orchestra pit below the screen had room for a piano and up to five other instruments.  About 1927, the Elberta was renamed the Capitol Theatre.  It is now part of the Walker Cinemas chain.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Dixie Theatre  »  Main Page
   
 
The former Dixie Theater is now known as the Main Street Theater and Ballroom, even though it no longer functions as a theater.  The auditorium is now used as a warehouse.

Photographer: Grant Smith
Date: 24 June 2005

Dixie Theatre
(Wadsworth Theater, Main Street Theater and Ballroom)
 
35 North Main Street
St. George, Utah
 
Status:
Closed 
Open:
Before 1930  
Closed:
After 1999  
 
The Wadsworth Theater opened before 1930 and was renamed<1> the Dixie Theatre between 1945 and 1950.<2>   The theater closed after 1999.<3>

By 2005 the building was known as the Main Street Theater and Ballroom, even though the auditorium was being used as a warehouse.  The lobby housed a retail shop and office space for a radio or television station.  The upper floor was used as a ballroom.


1.
"Chapter 11: Modernization", A History of Washington County, by Douglas D. Alder and Karl F. Brooks, Utah State History CD-ROM
2. "St. George", movie-theatre.org, listing as its sources the Film Weekly Film Journal yearbooks 1920, 1925, 1930, 1935, 1940, 1945, 1950, 1955 and International motion picture almanacs 1961, 1964, 1969, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 1998, 2000
3. Southern Utah Telephone Directory, September 1972 through May 1999