utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Huish Theater
98 West Utah Avenue
Payson, Utah
•Main Page •News Articles (8)
•Photos
•Guestbook (1)
•Facts & Figures  

Orpheus Hall
Vernal, Utah

C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911.  The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies.  It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.”  At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall.  In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Huish Theater  »  Main Page
   
 
The marquee of the theater has the name, 'Huish' in vertical letters.  Below that is a three-line attraction board.  On the left of the entrance is the ticket booth.

Photographer: Grant Smith
Date: 21 June 2005

Huish Theater
98 West Utah Avenue
Payson, Utah
 
Status:
Closed 
Total Seats:
600 
Open:
16 April 1949  
Closed:
31 January 2002  
Architect:
Fred L. Markham, W.Rowe Smith, Associate 
 

The Huish Theater in Payson was built in 1948 by the David Huish family.  Paul Mower bought the 600-seat theater in 1985. Since the Huish Theater was the only theater in town, Mower was able to close on Sunday and show only the family films. After the Stadium Cinemas opened nearby, Mower decided against adding additional screens to the Huish because it would limit his ability to reject R-rated films. Unable to book blockbuster movies, the Huish Theater closed on 31 January 2002. The building was sold to Jimmy and Phillip DeGraffenried of Santaquin, who planned to open a gym in the former movie house.

 

Source:
"
Curtains closing on Payson theater", Deseret News, 22 January 2002, page B1