utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Lyric Theatre
Main Street
Richfield, Utah
•Main Page •News Articles (6)
•Photos
•Sign Guestbook

Capitol Theatre
Brigham City, Utah

The Elberta Theatre opened in Brigham City on 12 March 1917, built by W. H. Shurtliffe and W. R. Dredge.  A unique feature of the theater was that moviegoers entered the auditorium next to the screen, allowing latecomers to find their way to their seats using the reflected light of the film.  An orchestra pit below the screen had room for a piano and up to five other instruments.  About 1927, the Elberta was renamed the Capitol Theatre.  It is now part of the Walker Cinemas chain.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Lyric Theatre  »  Main Page
   
 
Newspaper advertisement for the Lyric Theatre in 1948.

Piute County News
Date: 24 September 1948

Lyric Theatre
Main Street
Richfield, Utah
 
Status:
Demolished 
Open:
1907  
Closed:
After 1955  
Demolished:
October 1983  
 
The Lyric Theatre was an adobe structure built in 1881.  It was originally a furniture store, but was later remodeled into a dance hall.  A stage was added, making it a combination dance and opera hall.1  

In 1907 the building became the Lyric Theatre, showing a new form of entertainment - the motion picture.2  The Lyric Theatre continued to show movies until after 1955.3

In October 1983 the owners, the Van Anderson family, had the Lyric Theatre demolished because it had become an eyesore and a hazard to the downtown area.3


1. "Family OKs Razing Of 102-Year-Old Richfield Theater", Salt Lake Tribune, 29 October
2. "Chapter 5: The County Matures," A History of Sevier County, by M. Guy Bishop, Utah Stat History CD-ROM
3. "Rural 2", http://movie-theatre.org
, listing as its sources the Film Weekly Film Journal yearbooks 1920, 1925, 1930, 1935, 1940, 1945, 1950, 1955 and International motion picture almanacs 1961, 1964, 1969, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 1998, 2000

Notes:
Polk's Utah Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1912-1913, 1914-1915, 1930-1931