utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Loa Theatre
Loa, Utah
•Main Page
•Photos
•Guestbook (1)

Roosevelt Twin Theatre
Roosevelt, Utah

George H. Harrison and R. Howard Harrison opened the $40,000 Roosevelt Theatre on Valentine's Day, 14 February 1942, with Shirley Temple in Kathleen.  The “modern up-to-the minute motion picture theatre” was described as “new, beautiful, and elaborately equipped.”  The interior color scheme was peach, green, and beige, with red velour curtains and drapes.  The 500 seats in the auditorium were “arranged on a slight arc so that every seat directly faces the screen.”  The stage was large and had floodlights, so the theater could “accommodate many types of entertainment” and serve as “a community playhouse as well as a motion picture theatre.”

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Loa Theatre  »  Main Page
   
 
In 1979, the Loa Theatre was used as a store.  The building was demolished in 2003 and replaced with a hardware store.

Date: 1979

Loa Theatre
Loa, Utah
 
Status:
Demolished 
Open:
Before 1940  
Closed:
1958  
Demolished:
2003  
 
The Loa Theatre was one of two theaters in Wayne County owned by Mable and James Ellett.  It showed movies from about 1940 to 1955.<1> 

A television tower was built on Parker Mountain in February 1958 and by summer so many residents of Fremont Valley were watching television that the Loa Theatre stopped showing movies. The owners of the theater requested and received a cut in their property taxes.<2>

The Loa Theatre was demolished in 2003 and a new hardware store was constructed where it once stood.


1. "Rural 1", http://movie-theatre.org, listing as its sources the Film Weekly Film Journal yearbooks 1920, 1925, 1930, 1935, 1940, 1945, 1950, 1955 and International motion picture almanacs 1961, 1964, 1969, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 1998, 2000
1. "Chapter 4: The Evolution of Wayne County and Its Towns", A History of Wayne County, by Miriam B. Murphy, Utah State History CD-ROM