utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Airport Drive-In
2711 North Temple
Salt Lake City, Utah
•Main Page
•Photos
•Sign Guestbook

Blanding Ward
Blanding, Utah

The first movies in Blanding were shown in the meetinghouse of the LDS Church, under the direction of the bishopric. A hand-crank projector was set up in the balcony of the chapel, with accompaniment provided by piano.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Airport Drive-In  »  Main Page
   
 
Aerial view of North Temple Street making a detour around an extension to an airport runway.

Image courtesy of the US Geological Survey
Date: 8 October 1998

Airport Drive-In
2711 North Temple
Salt Lake City, Utah
 
Status:
Demolished 
Total Cars:
300 
Open:
Before December 1948  
Closed:
After 1975  
 
The Airport Drive-In opened before December 19481 and closed after 1975.2  The theater was owned by Ray F. Wilmart and had a capacity of 300 cars.3

The drive-in was located just south of one of the runways of the Salt Lake Airport.  The theater has been demolished, possibly to allow for an extension of the runway.



1. The Airport Drive-In was listed in the Salt Lake City Classified Business Directory for 1948 and 1954, but not in the 1957 or later directories.
2. According to "Excel fle", movietheatre.org, the Airport Drive-In showed movies from about 1950 to 1975.
3. "Airport Drive-In", drive-ins.com/theater, December 2005