utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Graff Mercantile
4 North Main Street
Hurricane, Utah
•Main Page •News Articles (1)
•Photos
•Sign Guestbook

Famous Films Theatre
Ogden, Utah

When the Glen Brothers Piano Company opened its new store in 1923, the third floor included a 200-seat recital space named Chickering Hall.  The acoustics were described as “absolutely perfect.”  In 1975 the building was remodeled into the Washington Fair, a mall with a dozen specialty shops.  The stage on the third floor became the Laughing Gypsy Comedy Theatre and later the Famous Films Theatre.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Graff Mercantile  »  Main Page
   
 
Front of the building.

Photographer: Grant Smith
Date: 24 June 2005

Graff Mercantile
4 North Main Street
Hurricane, Utah
 
Status:
Closed 
Open:
1914  
 
Charles Petty, a local store manager, brought movies to Huricanne in 1914 using a gas-powered projector. The generator "created a loud 'putt, putt' sound heard all over Hurricane; residents flocked to the theater in response."1


1. "Silent Films Intrigued and Occasionally Offended Utahns",
by W. Paul Reeve, History Blazer, August 1995