LeRay Alexander, a school teacher and World War II veteran, opened the first commercial movie theater in Blanding on 23 August 1946, despite opposition and competing plans from local leaders. Dr. Wesley R. Bayles helped fund the $11,000 showhouse. Over 60 years later, the San Juan Theatre continues bring movies to the county it was named after.
The Ranch Drive-In, located at 7680 West 2400 South, opened sometime before 1958 and closed between the summers of 1960 and 1961. Even though the theater closed over 40 years ago, the Ranch Drive-In has not been built over. The projection and snack bar buildings are still standing and location of the screen tower can still be seen from aerial photos.