utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Strand Theatre
150 West Center Street
Provo, Utah
•Main Page
•Sign Guestbook
•Facts & Figures

Orpheus Hall
Vernal, Utah

C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911.  The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies.  It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.”  At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall.  In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Strand Theatre  »  Main Page
   
 

Strand Theatre
150 West Center Street
Provo, Utah
 
Status:
Unknown 
Open:
Before 1918  
Closed:
1956 or 1961  
 
The Strand Theater opened before 19181 and showed movies from about 1925 to 1961.2


1. Polk's Utah Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1918-1919, 1920-1921, 1922-1923, 1927-1928, 1930-1931
2. "Provo", movie-theatre.org, listing as its sources the Film Weekly Film Journal yearbooks 1920, 1925, 1930, 1935, 1940, 1945, 1950, 1955 and International motion picture almanacs 1961, 1964, 1969, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 1998, 2000