utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Simmons Amusement Hall
241 Island Road
Morgan, Utah
•Main Page
•Sign Guestbook

Orpheus Hall
Vernal, Utah

C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911.  The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies.  It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.”  At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall.  In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Simmons Amusement Hall  »  Main Page
   
 

Simmons Amusement Hall
241 Island Road
Morgan, Utah
 
Status:
Unknown 
Open:
Before 1906  
 
The Simmons Amusement Hall was built by George and William Simmons at 241 Island Road.  The small frame building was the first private establishment in the settlement of South Morgan.  The hall sold refreshments and was used for plays, dances, and other social activities.

Source:
"Chapter 11: Morgan Cultural and Social Life", A History of Morgan County, by Linda H. Smith, Utah State History Suite CD-ROM