utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Ward Hall
Kanab, Utah
•Main Page •News Articles (1)
•Sign Guestbook

New Electric Theatre
Ogden, Utah

Lester B. Funge announced plans in 1904 for the Grande Vaudeville Theatre, an 800-seat playhouse between the Reed Hotel and the St. Paul Lodging House.   In 1906, a three-story building with a hall on the top floor occupied the site.  On 20 November 1907, the 197-seat New Electric Theatre opened in a remodeled house in the same location.  The Electric was the first theater operated by the Alhambra Theatre Company, which would grow to at least eight theaters in three states within seven years.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Ward Hall  »  Main Page
   
 

Ward Hall
Kanab, Utah
 
Status:
Unknown 
Open:
Before 1934  
Closed:
After 1940  
 
The Kanab Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Lattery-Day Saints installed sound equipment for "Talkies" in the Ward Hall in 1934. Movies for children and adults were shown each Friday and Saturday evening.1

The Garfield County News commended church leaders, saying "One of the best ways to raise the morale of any community is to furnish sufficient, proper, up-to-date, clean amusement."1

The Ward Hall continued showing movies through 1940.
2


1. "Ward Talkie of Very High Type", Garfield County News, 15 June 1934, Page 5
2. "Rural 1", http://movie-theatre.org, listing as its sources the Film Weekly Film Journal yearbooks 1920, 1925, 1930, 1935, 1940, 1945, 1950, 1955 and International motion picture almanacs 1961, 1964, 1969, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 1998, 2000