utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Highland Drive-In Theatre
3670 South Highland Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah
•Main Page •News Articles (1)
•Photos
•Sign Guestbook
•Facts & Figures  

New Electric Theatre
Ogden, Utah

Lester B. Funge announced plans in 1904 for the Grande Vaudeville Theatre, an 800-seat playhouse between the Reed Hotel and the St. Paul Lodging House.   In 1906, a three-story building with a hall on the top floor occupied the site.  On 20 November 1907, the 197-seat New Electric Theatre opened in a remodeled house in the same location.  The Electric was the first theater operated by the Alhambra Theatre Company, which would grow to at least eight theaters in three states within seven years.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Highland Drive-In Theatre  »  Main Page
   
 
The original screen tower of the Highland Drive-In was made of concrete and featured the word 'Highland' in large letters on the back side.

David Leo, About 1983

Highland Drive-In Theatre
(Hyland Drive-In)
 
3670 South Highland Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah
 
Status:
Demolished 
Auditoriums:
Open:
21 July 1948  
Closed:
1982  
 
The Hyland Drive-In Theatre opened before 1954.1  It was renamed the Highland Drive-In Theatre in 1961, following a $400,000 remodeling project which included "twin screens, asphalt parking area, new refreshment and snack bar, new playground and restrooms and modern projection equipment".2  The theater closed after 1982.1


1. Salt Lake City Classified Business Directory, 1954-1955 through August 1982
2.
$400,000 Hyland Project Newest Theater Remodeling, 17 July 1961, Deseret News