Spontaneous Coal Fire Damages Vogue Theatre

Vernal Express, 22 January 1948, page 1

A fire, believed to have started from spontaneous combustion of coal, burned the stage and screen of the Vogue Theatre Wednesday.

The fire in the coal was first discovered in the morning and was believed to have been extinguished with the use of water and chemicals.  However, in the afternoon, Dr. Jos. L. Hansen, noticed from his office in the Uintah State Bank Bldg.  That smoke was again issuing from the structure and turned in the alarm.  The fire department responded and quickly quenched the blaze.

The fire in the coal burned through a single exposed rafter and up into the building.

A new screen and other equipment was immediately ordered and the theatre will resume business as soon as they are received and installed.