Gas leak forces historic theater to close

1913 building is but latest casualty of fumes in Gunnison

Deseret News, 18 November 2007

Article Summary:

“Within two steps of the open doors of the Casino Star Theatre in Gunnison, the smell of gas is so pungent that one pauses, momentarily but abruptly, before stepping the rest of the way into the building.”

During a press conference in the theater's lobby, the gas fumes caused light headedness after fifteen minutes, followed by “a metallic taste and tingling sensation in the mouth.” Air tests revealed that levels of benzene in the building had quadrupled in two days and were approaching safety-standard limits.