The Way Sam Remembers It
Moab Times-Independent, 1 January 2011
The Woodman Hall was later known as the Grand County Ball Room, Arches Ballroom, and Center Street Square. The first movie in Woodman Hall was shown in 1912, by Robert and Elberta Clark. The first talking picture featured Al Jolson in “Sonny Boy.”
After the death of her husband, Elberta Clark built the Ides Theatre on Main Street (where the Wells Fargo parking lot is now located.) Her daughter Neva Kirk, and granddaughters, Dorothy and Janice Kirk, helped run the theater. In the late 1960s, she sold it to Max Day, who renamed it the Holiday Theater. The Ides Theatre was named after the Ides of March, when if first opened.