Happy Hour Theatre|
(Happy Hour Movie House)
4870 South State
Murray, Utah 84107
(? - 1925)
The Happy Hour Theatre, built about 1905, was the first theater in Murray and played silent films with a player piano. On occasion, someone sang a solo or played an instrument between films.[1,4]
In October 1908, the Salt Lake Herald reported the Happy Hour was the "point of interest for a very enjoyable theatre party." A "number of college boys attending school at Salt Lake" enjoyed the program at the theater, then "repaired to the home of the host" for "an elaborate lunch."
In 1910, the Happy Hour theater added vaudeville with moving pictures provided by the Pantages circuit. The news article declared, "This theater is now one of the leading houses of amusement here, and is gaining in public favor daily."
The Happy Hour Theatre closed about 1925. The drug store next door expanded by absorbing the former theater building to create a single storefront. In 1956, the building was Murray City Pharmacy. In 2019, it was Wright Costume.
1. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Murray Theater
2. Social Happenings in State Towns, Salt Lake Herald, 4 October 1908, page 9
3. Vaudeville is Added, Salt Lake Tribune, 25 January 1910, page 11
4. the PROWLER, Murray Eagle, 17 May 1956, page 10