LeRay Alexander, a school teacher and World War II veteran, opened the first commercial movie theater in Blanding on 23 August 1946, despite opposition and competing plans from local leaders. Dr. Wesley R. Bayles helped fund the $11,000 showhouse. Over 60 years later, the San Juan Theatre continues bring movies to the county it was named after.
The lobby of the theater, with the concession stand on the left and the hallway to the theater auditoriums on the right. Cedar City Stadium 8, Cedar City, Utah Grant Smith, 24 June 2005
The lobby of the theater. The ticket booth is behind the wall on the right and the hall to the theaters is behind the concession stand at the far end of the lobby. Cedar City Stadium 8, Cedar City, Utah Grant Smith, 24 June 2005