LeRay Alexander, a school teacher and World War II veteran, opened the first commercial movie theater in Blanding on 23 August 1946, despite opposition and competing plans from local leaders. Dr. Wesley R. Bayles helped fund the $11,000 showhouse. Over 60 years later, the San Juan Theatre continues bring movies to the county it was named after.
The Geneva Drive-In was owned by Veigh Cummings and had a capacity of 624 cars. The theater closed about 1966 and was demolished before 1970. The drive-in was located on the southwest corner of 1300 South State Street, across from where the University Mall now stands.