utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Olympus Drive In
5600 South 900 East
Murray, Utah
•Main Page •News Articles (5)
•Photos
•Sign Guestbook
•Facts & Figures  

Villa Theatre
Salt Lake City, Utah

The historic Villa Theatre opened in 1949, showing the black and white film "Prince of Foxes."  In 1961 the Villa became the only theater in Utah to show Cinerama.  The theater closed 18 February 2003 and has been renovated as a beautiful rug gallery.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Olympus Drive In  »  Main Page
   
 
An artist's rendering of the Olympus Drive-In shows the theater with a fence and surround by trees.  The screen is widescreen and flat.

Salt Lake Tribune, page C3
Date: 25 October 1964

Olympus Drive In
(Fox Olympus Drive-In)
 
5600 South 900 East
Murray, Utah
 
Status:
Demolished 
Total Cars:
1056 
Open:
21 June 1967  
Closed:
1982  
 
Fox Intermountain Theatres opened the Olympus Drive-In on 21 June 1967 with Walt Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."  With a capacity of 1056 cars, the $500,000 theater was "the largest drive-in in the intermountain area".1

The Olympus Drive-In was located at 5600 South and 900 East, across the street from the Murray City Cemetary.   It was built as a replacement for the Oak Hills Drive-In, which was southeast of Hoggle Zoo and was demoshed in 1964 to make way for a new housing development.

The Olympus Drive-In was surrounded by an eight-foot-high cedar fence.  The theater entrance had four traffic lanes to allow easy entry from busy streets.  A new ramping system provided maximum comfort and view of the theater's 50 by 100 foot
screen.
 
The projection building, located in the center of the parking area, included a modern snack bar and cafeteria.  The Olympus Drive-In was open all year and had a play ground for children.


1. "New Family Drive-In Opens in Murray", Salt Lake Tribune , 21 June 1967 , Page 6

Other Sources:

"New Drive-in Movie Slated on 9th East", Salt Lake Tribune, 8 March 1967, Page 2B
"S.L. Theater Will Park 1,056 Cars", Salt Lake Tribune, 25 April 1967, Page 20