utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Carol Theater
70 North Main Street
Monroe, Utah
•Main Page
•Photos
•Guestbook (1)

Orpheus Hall
Vernal, Utah

C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911.  The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies.  It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.”  At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall.  In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Carol Theater  »  Main Page
   
 
The front of the Carol Theater features a circular marquee with a vertical sign with the name 'Carol'.  Above the marquee is a row of second-floor windows.

Photographer: Grant Smith
Date: 25 June 2005

Carol Theater
70 North Main Street
Monroe, Utah
 
Status:
Closed 
Open:
Before 1950  
Closed:
1980s  
 
The Carol Theater showed movies from about 1950 to 1955.1  It may have closed in the 1980s because of a flood.


1. "Rural 2", http://movie-theatre.org