126 North Main Street
(1921 - 1947)
The Kinema closed in 1947, the day before the Huish Theater opened. The Kinema building later became Gary's Shoes.
1. “The Chautauqua movement began in 1874 as a week-long Methodist Bible-study retreat at Chautauqua Lake, New York. It soon expanded to include a wide variety of educational and cultural offerings. By the turn of the century 300 imitators of the original assembly offered similar programs each summer, principally in the Midwest. The self-improvement idea furthered by Chautauqua was attractive, especially to many rural settlers who had no cultural contacts. By 1907 several entrepreneurs, capitalizing on the success of the permanent Chautauquas and the genuine needs of the rural population, successfully combined the ingredients of entertainment and respectable culture with the circuit concept and produced the traveling tent Chautauqua. The circuits brought their seven-day programs to thousands of rural communities where many individuals first experienced theater, classical music, and new ideas. The circuits soon spread the uplifting "spirit of Chautauqua" throughout the United States and Canada. The Ellison/ White circuit was by far the most popular traveling group in the Beehive State, but the Redpath, Cadmean, Mutual, and Radcliffe circuits also presented programs.” From "Chautauqua and the Utah Performing Arts", Utah Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, Number 2 (Spring 1990), Utah State History CD-ROM
2. "Chautauqua and the Utah Performing Arts", Utah Historical Quarterly, Volume 58, Number 2 (Spring 1990), Utah State History CD-ROM