utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Star-Vue Drive-In
650 South Main Street
Huntington, Utah
•Main Page
•Photos
•Sign Guestbook
•Facts & Figures  

Orpheus Hall
Vernal, Utah

C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911.  The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies.  It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.”  At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall.  In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Star-Vue Drive-In  »  Main Page
   
 
The projection building from the side.

Photographer: Grant Smith
Date: 2 July 2005

Star-Vue Drive-In
(Vali Drive-In)
 
650 South Main Street
Huntington, Utah
 
Status:
Closed 
Open:
After 1948  
Closed:
After 1985  
 
R. Zen Jensen opened a drive-in theater in Huntington sometime after 1948.  The Vali Drive-In operated in Huntington from about 1961 to 1975.  The Star-Vue Drive-In was opend about 1985.  The remains of a drive-in theater two kilometers south of Huntington are visible in a 1998 satelite photo.

Sources:
- "Rural 3", movie-theatre.org
- "Chapter 7: The Graying of Emery County, 1945-1970", A History of Emery County, by Edward A. Geary