utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Layton Theater
96 North Main Street
Layton, Utah  84041
•Main Page
•Photos
•Sign Guestbook
•Facts & Figures  

Orpheus Hall
Vernal, Utah

C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911.  The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies.  It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.”  At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall.  In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Layton Theater  »  Main Page
   
 
Great Harvest Bread now occupies the Layton Theater.

Photographer: Grant Smith
Date: 3 September 2011

Layton Theater
96 North Main Street
Layton, Utah 84041
 
Status:
Alternate Use 
Open:
Before 1950  
Closed:
After 1963  
 

The Layton Theater showed movies until about 1963.  By 2011, the building had become a Great Harvest Bread store.