utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Lighthouse Theatre
4835 South Highland Drive
Building G
Holladay, Utah  84117
•Main Page •News Articles (7)
•Sign Guestbook

Orpheus Hall
Vernal, Utah

C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911.  The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies.  It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.”  At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall.  In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Lighthouse Theatre  »  Main Page
   
 

Lighthouse Theatre
4835 South Highland Drive
Building G
Holladay, Utah 84117
 
Status:
Demolished 
Open:
28 November 1995  
 

Dan Whitley renovated the old Power Plant disco club at the south end of Cottonwood Mall and opened it as the Lighthouse Theatre.  The opening production was “The Christmas Stranger” on 28 November 1995.  The theater-in-the-round was named “Lighthouse” because the free-standing building was originally a power generating plant. Whitley, a voice coach and musician, previously leased the Broadway Stage.[1, 2, 3]

The Academy of Performing Arts performed stage plays in the Lighthouse Theatre for several months before a new owner told them in January 2000 to vacate the building.[4, 5]


1. “Playing for the Holidays”, Deseret News, 17 November 1995
2. “Fall Theater Season Gets Under Way”, Deseret News, 1 September 1995
3. “Stage, performing arts groups offer a schedule of auditions”, Deseret News, 11 April 1997
4. “Theater school needs home”, Deseret News, 6 March 2000
5. “'Tempest' fund-raiser”, Deseret News, 19 July 2000