utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Blue Mouse
260 East 100 South
Salt Lake City, Utah
•Main Page •News Articles (7)
•Photos
•Guestbook (1)
•Facts & Figures  

Uintah Theatre
Vernal, Utah

On 29 April 1912, the New Uintah Theatre opened in the former Elk Building, which had been remodeled “along the latest moving picture house lines, with sloping floor, soloists platform, etc.”  The ticket office was outside, under a “blaze of rows of electric lights.”  Patrons of nearby towns appreciated having hitching posts on the premises.  The New Uintah closed sometime prior to 1932.  The E. W. Davis furniture store occupied the building before it became a piano store called the Henderson-Barlett Music Company.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Blue Mouse  »  Main Page
   
 
The entrance of the former Blue Mouse Theater.  The marquee over the door is still there, but has been painted over.

Photographer: Grant Smith
Date: 10 December 2005

Blue Mouse
(Cinema Arts)
 
260 East 100 South
Salt Lake City, Utah
 
Status:
Closed 
Open:
Before 1973  
Closed:
1986  
 
Cinema Art, later known as the Blue Mouse, was the first venue for art and foreign films in Salt Lake City. The theater was originally a screening room and was located in the basement of the building.  The theater's seats came from a shoe-selling emporium.  The auditorium had 120 seats and was "stretched out like a long hallway."1


1. "On New Theaters, Indiana Jones and Skyrocketing Prices", Deseret News, 4 June 1989 , Page E10