utahtheaters.info
 
  •Home •Theaters •News •Recent  
 
Social Hall
St. George, Utah
•Main Page
•Sign Guestbook
•Facts & Figures

Orpheus Hall
Vernal, Utah

C. W. Showalter, and Andrew King opened the Orpheus Hall on Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1911.  The amusement hall had a spring dance floor, but was also used for roller skating, basketball, banquets, and movies.  It was named after the Greek god of Mirth, “a famous musician who is reputed to have had power to entrance men, beasts, and inanimate objects by the music of his lyre.”  At 11:00 PM on New Years Eve, 1928, the hall was renamed Imperial Hall.  In a ceremony on 20 April 1965, Governor Governor Calvin L. Rampton took a sledge hammer and delivered the first blow in the demolition of the hall as part of a community beautification campaign.

 
 
  Home   »  Theaters   »  Social Hall  »  Main Page
   
 

Social Hall
St. George, Utah
 
Status:
Unknown 
Total Seats:
500 
Open:
Before 1903  
Closed:
After 1927  
 
The Social Hall was open from about 1903 to 1927 1 and had a seating capacity of 500.2


1. Polk's Utah Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1903-1904, 1908-1909, 1912-1913, 1914-1915, 1918-1919, 1920-1921, 1922-1923, 1927-1928
2. Polk's Utah Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1903-1904