Olympus Drive In|
(Fox Olympus Drive-In)
5600 South 900 East
(1967 - 1982)
Fox Intermountain Theatres opened the Olympus Drive-In on 21 June 1967 with Walt Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." With a capacity of 1056 cars, the $500,000 theater was "the largest drive-in in the intermountain area".
The Olympus Drive-In was located at 5600 South and 900 East, across the street from the Murray City Cemetary. It was built as a replacement for the Oak Hills Drive-In, which was southeast of Hoggle Zoo and was demolished in 1964 to make way for a new housing development.
The Olympus Drive-In was surrounded by an eight-foot-high cedar fence. The theater entrance had four traffic lanes to allow easy entry from busy streets. A new ramping system provided maximum comfort and view of the theater's 50 by 100 foot
The projection building, located in the center of the parking area, included a modern snack bar and cafeteria. The Olympus Drive-In was open all year and had a play ground for children.
1. "New Family Drive-In Opens in Murray", Salt Lake Tribune, 21 June 1967, page 6