The Pioneer Memorial Theatre was built as “the modern counterpart of the old Salt Lake Theater,” a tribute to “the thousands who sat enthralled within its walls” and to the “traditions of our Pioneer theatrical heritage.” Although only parts of the exterior bear any resemblance, Pioneer Memorial was to be “pleasantly reminiscent of the Salt Lake Theater in architectural design.” Construction on both building began on the 1st of July, the original in 1861 and the latter in 1960.
In 1976, Howard Coleman created the Lakeside Theaters by remodeling an
existing building. The theater originally showed first-run films, but
switched to sub-run in about 1985. The theater closed on 9 June 2000
because of "declining attendance and competition from the chain movie
theaters" with stadium seating and digital sound. The building, owned
by Kier Corp., was likely to be converted to retail.
("Downtown S.L., Clearfield lose movie houses", Deseret News, 15 June 2000, page D7)