The Huish Theater in Payson was built in 1948 by the David Huish family. Paul Mower bought the 600-seat theater in 1985. Since the Huish Theater was the only theater in town, Mower was able to close on Sunday and show only the family films. After the Stadium Cinemas opened nearby, Mower decided against adding additional screens to the Huish because it would limit his ability to reject R-rated films. Unable to book blockbuster movies, the Huish Theater closed on 31 January 2002. The building was sold to Jimmy and Phillip DeGraffenried of Santaquin, who planned to open a gym in the former movie house.