The University of Utah dedicated its first auditorium, Kingsbury Hall, on 22 May 1930. The $275,000 assembly hall was funded by the State of Utah and named in honor of Joseph T. Kingsbury, who served as President of the University from 1897 until 1926. Kingsbury Hall is one of nine buildings in the University Circle historic district, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The auditorium was built with a projection booth and an organ loft, to accommodate silent films.
The Rex Theatre in Castle Dale closed about 1930. The Ferron ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints acquired the projection equipment of the Rex Theatre in 1930 and began showing movies in the local meetinghouse.
- Emery County Progress, 10 January 1930 or 21 March 1930
- "Chapter 6: Hard Times, Good Times, 1920 - 1945", A History of Emery County, by Edward A. Geary